Sunday, November 30, 2008

Winter Warning

Okay... gearing up for the first winter storm of the season just feels like the beginning of work... getting up earlier to shovel snow so you can make the drive to school. The drive usually takes an hour so now I'm wondering how long it will take... and how slippery the roads will be... and how the drive home will be. Then there's just the fact that it will be colder and darker for longer... okay I could go on. I look at my kids and I'm excited to see they still have that sparkle in their eyes with the prospect of the first snowfall of the year arriving and it makes me stop and re-evaluate my own thinking. Really, there is nothing more beautiful then a neighbourhood blanketed in snow when it hangs gracefully from branches and the world appears to be extremely quiet from the sound barrier it provides. Before the snow gets trampled and slushy it appears like the perfect painting... more beautiful then can be captured on canvas and so peaceful and comforting as you curl up infront of a warm fireplace. Maybe I will start to look more forward to that first snowfall now and will try to recapture that special warm feeling that only a beautiful snowfall can bring...

No comments: